What steps did the French revolutionaries take to create a sense of collective identity among the French people?
Verified by GMS
The French revolutionaries took many important steps to create a sense of collective identity among the French people which were:
- Ideas of la patrie (the fatherland) and le citoyen (the citizen) emphasising the notion of a united community enjoying equal rights under a constitution.
- A new French flag, a tricolour replaced the royal standard.
- The Estates General was renamed the National Assembly and was elected by a group of active citizens.
- New hymns, oaths and martyrs commemorated in the name of the nation.
- A central administrative system made uniform laws for the entire nation.
- Discouraging regional dialects and promoting French as a common language of the nation.